Friday, February 18, 2011

Promise Keeper

“The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you…I will bless you.’” Gen. 12:1-2. “By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land…” Hebrews 11:8-9.

Over the past 4 years I have been primarily in the caregiving role for a family member in one way or another. I believe to some extent it became my idol. I would display it, keep it polished and continue to look to it to satisfy some need. Don’t get me wrong…I know in my heart that God called me to be active in each of these caregiving roles. The question is when did my activity become more than obedience? When did my obedience to God become more about satisfaction to self?

Abraham turned his back on everything he had built and known when God decided it was time for him to go to a new land. God didn’t send him out of punishment but out of a desire to bless him. I know that God is asking me to turn from the land from which I know so well and look towards a seemingly empty horizon. I know without certainty that His desire is for me to look to Him for a new land although I come ‘not knowing where I am going.’ It is time for me to step out into my promised land although I am uncertain of what promises it holds. Like Abraham, I must turn from everything I know that is comfortable and familiar and make my home where God calls me to settle. I feel that I must pack my bags, leave my comfort zone and head out into nothingness to inherit the fullness of God.

We all have seasons where God both encourages and commands us to leave what is safe in an effort to experience what is unknown in order to achieve spiritual growth. If, by faith, we make our home in His will, we will be blessed and inherit our promised land.

I may not know what promises and blessings are on the horizon but I trust in the Promise Keeper.

No comments: