Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Until We Meet Again


When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining… ‘Let’s decide by lot who will get it’…Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother…John 19:23-25.

Yesterday I was keeping the grandchildren for my daughter.  As bedtime neared I remembered that Kherington’s blanket was in my daughter’s car.  I quickly began explaining to Kherington that because her mommy had her blanket we would take Mommy’s blanket.  Kherbear loved the idea that she would have something so dear to her Mommy.  As we were driving to their home she explained that she loved her mommy’s blanket because when she pulled it closely she could smell her mommy.  It reminded me of the time I went into my parents’ closet after my dad died, and I could still smell his scent on the clothes.  Most of us have something of those we have loved and lost which we hold near and dear to our hearts.

I didn’t even know Mary but this passage tears my heart apart.  There she stood beside her son as He hung on the cross.  I imagine through her heartbreak and tears she was distracted by the conversation of these men handling her baby’s clothes as an ante in a poker game.  The most private clothing, his undergarment, lay tossed upon the ground as they cast lots for the piece that most smelled like her son.  Like Kherington, she would have given anything to take that home and pull closely to herself. 

Mary suffered deeply and lost much that day as she walked away empty handed of anything tangible.  But Jesus gave her something more precious for her hands.  He gave her something greater than fabric...He gave her a protector…hope for the future...a surrogate son.  "When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, ‘Dear woman, here is your son,’ and to the disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’  From that time on, this disciple took her into his home." John 19:26-27.  Both were devastated, but both embraced their newly defined relationship in Christ.

Whatever is lost will be found in Jesus.  Whatever is temporarily removed on earth will be received in heaven.  Jesus will surround us with those he loves to walk hand in hand with us through life.  No one walks alone no matter who they have lost, although Satan loves to convince us otherwise.  He assures us we have lost more than others when in reality loss is the way to gain.  We must trust in God that whoever is taken from us is being prepared to welcome us into eternity.  I know personally, that when my name is called a certain group of Millers and Holders will be casting lots as to who will get the first hug!  We cannot buy into the lie that we are unique in our pain, but embrace God's will with complete acceptance and surrender.  In thinking of my loved ones I am comforted to know that Mary and Jesus walk hand in hand on the crystal streets of heaven, and so will I one day.

No comments: