Friday, August 2, 2013

Hot Pursuits


He turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand” Psalm 40:1-2.

As I read this passage this morning I am humbled by the fact that God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves.  If I have the flu, I am well aware of it due to my intense headache and achy body.   If my allergies are active, my eyes itch and my nose runs.  So how is it that when I was spiritually sick my symptoms were not as recognizable?  I wasn’t even aware that I was crying out…didn’t recognize the pit where I resided…the flesh. 

God in His ultimate love turned to me in 2006 and knew that my soul was crying out for something more in this life.  He saw the pit of pursuing approval from people that always tripped me up claiming my actions, attitudes and behavior.  He had seen enough as He patiently waited on me for 45 years to recognize which behaviors were keeping me weighted down in the flesh.  Just as we bend down to retrieve a four leaf clover, so does our mighty God when seeing His unique children stuck in a field of flesh.  He pulls us into His hands and protects us from the elements of the world.  We rest in His confidence and in the shelter of His love and protection.  In hindsight I didn’t even know I needed rescuing, because only God could see what deliverance would look like.  The holes every person tries to fill from birth to death are the needs to be known and to be loved.  We chase everything trying to fill these God-given spaces…He made us incomplete without Him and yet we want everything but Him…so He chases after us.’ Chase, p. 136.

I am blessed this morning to know that I was chosen and loved enough to be chased down and so are you! 

No comments: