Monday, October 28, 2013

Seekers & Finders

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” Matthew 6:33.

When our children were young it never ceased to amaze me that after a few minutes of looking for their lost item they were resolved to quit looking.  I am not sure if this occurred because the item wasn’t really that important to begin with or because they knew I would find it for them.  Either way their search was halfhearted due to their lack of interest or their lack of priority.

In considering my life this morning I was that child that said I wanted God in my life but wasn’t really seeking Him for my life.  Much like my children, I deferred to others to bring God to me.  The definition for seeking is ‘trying to locate or discover…to go toward.’    We should notice that seek in its true definition means active movement on our part towards a discovery.  God invites us to discover Him and move more deeply with Him.  When I began truly moving towards Him and His word through daily study and worship the discoveries were constant and precious.  It was like someone handed me a treasure map in 2006 promising me relics at every turn if I would only seek.  The discoveries and treasures that have been mine over the past 7 years have built a storehouse of blessings and revelations.  The things that God has given me that the world never could will never pass away…His joy…His love…His peace…His protection and His amazing grace!  The map winds and twists but the place at the end is where the true treasure lies.  When I have discovered the things of God on earth it will be time for me to discovery the things of eternity. 

The gate will open and the light will be so brilliant from Christ’s radiance I won’t even notice that Daddy’s arms are extended towards me.  I won’t see that Beth is over by the waterfall playing nurse to the gentle animals in the field.  I will fail to hear the powerful worship service being held in the garden by my grandparents.  Those beautiful things will come in time but what I will be focused on is the met gaze between a creator and His creation…a sinner and a Savior… a daughter and her Father.  What are waiting for?  Why aren’t we seeking every moment of every day?  God promises His holiness and His abundance ‘on earth as it is in Heaven.’

Seekers become finders in the kingdom of God!’ Spirit Hunger, p. 59.

No comments: