Tuesday, March 24, 2015

While the Waves May Roll

I made the sand a boundary for the sea, an everlasting barrier it cannot cross. The waves may roll, but they cannot prevail; they may roar, but they cannot cross it” Jeremiah 5:22. “But I have spoken to you again and again...Each of you must turn...and reform your actions...Then you will live in the land I have given to you” Jeremiah 14b-15.

The other night Bruce and I enjoyed the evening at the home of some friends who had invited us over for dinner. When we arrived there were two amazing appetizers for us to enjoy as we caught up on each other lives. I looked over and noticed that she had already prepared everything required to pull together shrimp and grits, one of my favorite dishes. I spent the next hour eating so much of the appetizers that I was already getting miserable. By the time I sat down to my favorite dish my stomach was already full of what was intended to be a little of something delightful.

Why is it that we take God’s gift of something and overdo it every time? Is it greed? Is it fear? It is a lack of self-discipline? It is probably all of those things and more. God made it clear from the beginning of Creation...if we don’t set our own boundaries He will set up circumstances to ensure that we have them. He set a boundary around the tree of life with Adam and Eve. He set a boundary of Sabbath rest even for Himself on the 7th day. From our passage we see that He set a boundary between the sea and the land. God told His children over and over again to never cross the boundary of having other gods before Him. According to our passage He repeatedly spoke to them about the same thing, yet they did not respond. They continued to return to their old actions...old behaviors...old sins.

Is God speaking to you over and over again regarding the same message? God will always bless faith over fear and reform over old habits. Just as my friend wanted to bless us with that amazing entrée God wishes to give us the full portion of His blessings, not just an appetizer to gorge on. Once we set up boundaries and walk them out daily He will give us the land that He prepared for us.

Stand at the crossroads and look...ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls” Jeremiah 6:16.

No comments: