Friday, August 7, 2015

Drowning Out Voices

“Be strong in the Lord and the strength of His might” Eph. 6:10.
During this season in our lives, Bruce works in Augusta, Georgia and comes home on the weekends. We set him up in a little patio home where he stays during the week. About a month ago when he was home we got a call from our alarm system company informing us that the back door sensor had been compromised. Someone had kicked in the door, robbed him and fled the scene never to be caught. I went down there for the next two weekends to support him and be available during the workdays for the repairs. One morning he told me he didn’t sleep well at all just thinking about the possibility of the criminal returning. He asked me why I wasn’t more fearful and I explained that my confidence apparently lies in him. As long as he was with me I felt protected, secure and confident that I wouldn’t have to fight the robber if he returned. My confidence and strength was not in my own abilities but because I was in relationship with someone who had the abilities.
While we are engaged in a spiritual war we must only engage ourselves as much as God calls us to the battle. Our confidence in this war is not in any one thing we do or any one person on earth. Our confidence must be in the One who goes before us (“The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged” De 31:8.) Our faith has to be grounded in the One who walks behind us guiding us in every step ("Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it" Isaiah 30:21.) The enemy uses the voices of the world to compete for our peace, our security and our confidence. The world promotes selfishness, fear, anxiety and insecurity. It screams we are not protected enough...capable enough...smart enough...rich enough...loved enough.
The only way to quieten the enemy’s voice is to turn up the volume on God’s voice. We must believe Him for what He promises, fellowship with Him to learn His character and pray to Him to determine His plan for the battle. Just like I had confidence and security because of my relationship with Bruce, we have everything we need in every situation through our association with Christ.
But will we believe?
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us...” Eph. 3:20

No comments: