Friday, June 16, 2017

From Guts to Glory

But Moses said, ‘Who am I, that I should go…?’ ‘O Lord…I am slow of speech and tongue.’  Moses returned to the LORD and said, ‘O Lord, why have you brought trouble…Is this why you sent me?  Ever since I went to…speak in your name…you have not rescued…at all.  ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke…I will free you from being slaves…I will redeem you…I will be your God.’” Exodus 3:11, 4:10, 5:22, 6:6-7.

I can’t help but smile when reading these verses today.  Moses was just as flawed of a human as I am as he wrestled with who he was, what God wanted him to do and who God was.  Between Chapters 3 and 5 Moses began doubting everything God was asking him to do.  He was blind to his own identity in God, and was insecure of his abilities.  We then read that after he did what God asked him to do, he marched through the throne doors and accused God of not living up to His word.  And yet, Moses has significant ink throughout both testaments as one who was in the top 5 of Who’s Who in the Bible.  So how does this settle in this flawed woman’s heart?

Relief…relief that who we see in the mirror is not who God sees.  Courage…courage that what He calls us to do will be matched with the equipping from the One who calls.  Authority…authority that when our hearts break we have permission to approach Him.  Confidence…confidence that our demands in prayer will not offend God, but will open the door of honest fellowship.  Comfort…comfort that when God speaks a promise into our heart He doesn’t mind reminding and reassuring us of that promise.

God didn’t break His promise to Moses, but broke the timeline of Moses’ expectation.  Hearts had not yet been changed, circumstances had not yet played out and the day of the great delivery was not yet upon him.  If God has whispered a promise into your ear, He cannot forsake Himself by failing to fulfill.  Keep going back to Him in all of your emotions, giving Him full permission to complete the heart-work He has begun.  His reminders are as beautiful as His heart.


And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand…as a possession.  I am the LORD.” Exodus 6:8.

No comments: