Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Unfinished

“But now, O LORD, You are our Father; We are the clay, and You our potter; And all we are the work of Your hand.” Isaiah 64:8

Back in November we went to Morganton with some friends to enjoy a cool fall day. It is a cute little town, a town I had never really visited other than for a funeral. We found the cutest little pottery studio with the potters also running the retail side of the studio. Shelf upon shelf displayed so many uniquely made pieces. Each was its own work of art and no two pieces were alike. I enjoyed leisurely strolling through the shop, gentle examining many of the items with all of their individual markings. As I walked past a large table, there were 11 clay colored mugs sitting on newspapers spread out. Don’t ask me why because I have absolutely no earthly idea why I did what I did. I reached for the handle of one of the mugs and picked it up. As I did the body of the mug separated from the handle and it flew across the shop finding its way to the floor with a thump! The clay mug was only in its shaped form…soft instead of hard…molded instead of fired. With huge brown eyes and a dropped chin, I began profusely apologizing to the potter. He was incredibly gracious laughing at what I did. He picked it up and threw it in a bucket with lumps of clay. I still to this day wonder why I assumed the unfinished piece of art was ready to be handled?

That is what we are…unfinished pieces of art who will only take shape and purpose in the hands of God. He sees our flaws and makes them beautiful…He sees our weaknesses and makes them strong. He paints our discolored hearts with beautiful individual strokes of color and meaning. There are seasons when we feel like we have been mishandled…dropped…thrown into a bucket for shaping another time. There are times when we are reckless with those around us forgetting that maybe they have yet to be molded or refined by the fire. There are times when we feel as if we are broken in need of mending on the Potter’s wheel. Whatever times we experience there will never be a situation from which God cannot bring forth beauty.

Seek Him with your whole being even if you’re in a thousand pieces, and He will sweep you up in His unseen arms, equip you, grow you, develop you, and show you where to set your foot next.’ Quest, Beth Moore, p. 171 



No comments: