Thursday, September 2, 2021

Where Fear Can't Reach

 “I will say to the LORD, ‘My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:2

This week has been a tough week in the news. The images of the Afghan people running and clinging to an airplane trying to escape their horrible fate are in the forefront of my mind. These are people trying to take refuge from a destiny that is out of their control.

This morning in my devotions there was an explanation of the difference between a refuge and a fortress. A refuge is a quick place you duck into to find shelter. A fortress is a place built intentionally for the purposes of exceptional security. The Hebrew word for fortress is metsudah, which translates as being an inaccessible place. Lysa TerKeurst, author of Seeing Beautiful Again writes, ‘God is not just a quick refuge from the storms of life. He’s also the place where fear no longer has access to me. Fear can’t catch what it can no longer reach,’ p. 213.

In a season of COVID, death, national chaos, and fear we aren’t much different than those images on television clamoring for a better life…clinging hopelessly trying to return to normal. Aren’t we all refugees of some kind? Aren’t we all at some point willing to do desperate things just to find a way out of our circumstances? God promises to be the place into where we duck when the calamity is chaotic, but He offers more than just a quick and temporary rescue. He offers a fortress, both present and eternal, one where we are safe in spite of our circumstances. He offers the peace that only He can give when nothing seems peaceful. He offers a place where fear can’t invade and chaos can’t control. But we must be looking for that refuge and fortress if we are to access it. We must come near to God so He can provide all we need in both challenging and calm times. Fear cannot dominate when we are leaning into our devotion to God and living into our relationship with Him. We will not be perfect in attaining peace, but will show progress towards it in Christ.

‘I’m learning to make progress with my fear. I now know I can feel afraid, but I don’t have to live afraid of the future. I can be present in this day without letting fear of tomorrow steal my peace today. I can only attend to what is right in front of me. I must trust God to hold the future’ p. 245.

We must fully and confidently cling to an ‘In God We Trust’ life if we are to believe in a better tomorrow.




No comments: