Monday, August 23, 2010

Sold Into Slavery

“Then Joseph said to his brothers, ‘I am Joseph…Come close to me…I am…the one you sold into [slavery] Egypt! And now do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me…’” Genesis 45:3-5

This is one of the most beautiful acts of divine forgiveness we are given to exemplify our lives regarding relationships. In our lives we will walk the path of Joseph who has been sold out or the path of the brothers who did the selling. Both are heart wrenching experiences as I have walked both journeys.

When my daughter chose a life of addiction and darkness I was ‘sold into slavery.’ Hopelessness and sadness held me captive and the jail cell was dark. I was imprisoned for many years waiting on a hero to break me free. I had based my freedom on a resolution instead of a promise from God who brings everything under His control. Finally, I came to Him for a rescue – but not a rescue for my daughter. I came to Him for deliverance from my captivity apart from my daughter. Six years into my imprisonment He breathed life into my captivity with Psalm 107:14-16. ‘He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron.’ But the story didn’t end here for me.

God doesn’t just rescue us and get on with life. He makes our captivity count! He takes what was pain and suffering and turns them into ministries. ‘You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.’ Gen 50:20

Both my daughter and my testimonies are to give complete glory to the LORD who gave complete deliverance to us! What better good is that?

No comments: