Tuesday, July 19, 2011

In Him

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phil. 4:13

It never ceases to amaze me how we can read the same verse over and over and get new revelations. As the Bible states (and Grandmother would repeat), the Word is active and alive.

For a gal who is achievement oriented and has a tendency to attach God’s love with performance, my Father continues to plead His case to me. God has been working with me in this area as I try to become comfortable that God is love – period! My former way of thinking has been to do everything and anything if it relates to God’s work. Toiling, calculating, pursuing, searching for duties…it makes my head spin.

But this morning, seeing this verse in print gave me new revelation. I have always read this verse as the strength will come to perform whatever duties I so choose relating to Christ. Tenderly, and with divine simplicity, God impressed upon me that this verse doesn’t mean so much that we are called to do everything calling on Him for strength, but rather in Christ we can do all things He calls us to do…Big difference!

When I think back I am reminded of times when I had spread myself so thin ‘doing the work of the Lord’ only to be exhausted and burned out. I have also known many wonderful and hard working people who experience this same spiritual trap. If we are moving in and out of the flow of the Spirit we will enjoy the guidance and discernment of Him. He will reveal the work for which we are to accomplish in Christ.

We are not called to do all things in Christ but are encouraged to call on Christ for all things He has purposed for our lives…the strength comes as a blessing.

No comments: