Tuesday, July 12, 2011

We Are Chosen

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.” Jer. 1:5.

This is one of my favorite verses in the entire Bible because of the comfort it provides. All I have to do is look at my own life as a parent in relation to my children. Before each one was born, they were first considered, thought upon, prayed for and chosen. That is where God stepped in and made our thoughts and dreams a reality.

The Hebrew phrase ‘I knew you’ in the verse above translates as ‘the object of God’s choice.’ For Him to know us was for Him to choose to make each of us the object of His affection. Once a chosen child of God, He formed us creating a unique fellowship that only we could personally understand. “I will put my law in their minds and write it upon their hearts.” Jer. 31:33. We all possess a spiritual head and heart language shared between each of us and God. This language cannot be learned through any means other than time spent with God.

He then set us apart before we were even born by determining our destiny in Christ once we were sent to earth. This phrase is the comfort food I need to feast on every day of my life. It is a promise (a covenant) between the Creator and His creation. I was not born to wonder, to calculate, to manipulate but rather to learn, to serve and to soar. Through this verse God teaches essential principles:

He chose us…
He formed us…
He destined us…
He redeemed us…
He promised us…
He provided for us…

What better promise than this can be found on earth? ‘I will be their God and they will be my people.’ Jer. 31:33.

No comments: