Friday, October 26, 2012

A Gown Too Large


Have them bring a royal robe the king has worn” Esther 6:8.

When I was a little girl my mother kept her wedding dress in a plastic garment bag in the back of her closet.  This wedding dress held such power for me in my mind as it represented a day in the future when I would walk down that aisle adorned in white.  I will never forget when Mother allowed me to try it on.  It seemed as if there were a million little covered buttons that closed up the back, and the tiny little sleeves hung well below my fingers.  I couldn’t walk in this beautiful dress because the train was too long to move.  It rustled with every movement my little frame made and my fantasies were too large to be contained in my heart and mind.  I was well aware that this gown was too big for me and was perfectly tailored for my mother’s frame.  I was covered in white and lace…

For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness’ Isaiah 61:10.  In my spiritual closet hangs a gown that is tailored just for me.  It is the Lord’s robe of righteousness that He invites me to try on daily.  He encourages me to grow into that robe and nourishes me to ensure my growth.  The robe is always too big for me to fill, with lots of tiny buttons covered with the flesh that need to be buttoned up tight.   The sleeves of Christ-like character hang below my fingers and the train of growth provides a difficult walk.   With the help of God I grow a little more each day, confidently growing into my robe someday.  Then one wonderful day, I will hold up my spiritual arms as He lowers my robe down over my head and it will find its perfect fit.  Wearing my garment of salvation, it will be the day that the Lord has made for me to slip my arm in His and walk down that aisle towards eternity in my uniquely tailored robe. 

I saw the Lord seated on the throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple’ Isaiah 6:1

No comments: