Friday, November 30, 2012

Already There


“‘The LORD turned to him and said, ‘Am I not sending you?  Gideon said to God, ‘If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised – then I will know…Do not be angry with me.  Allow me one more test…’ That night, God did so…” Judges 7:39-40.

If anyone had the right to be frightened for his life, it would have been Gideon.  He was the weakest family member in the weakest tribe of Israel, yet God chose him to be His instrument to save Israel.  Israel had once again become a people of idolatry and disobedience, but God’s patience is long and faithfulness is infinite.  Gideon’s prayers resonate deep in my heart this morning as I consider what was at stake.  Gideon was chosen to face multiple armies in an all-out battle for lives, for purpose and for deliverance.  His mind must have been spinning as he considered the possibility of going through the bloody battle which could result in his death.  But notice that his dialogue with God was more concerned with understanding whether this was God’s will for his life.   He knew God would save – but was Gideon clear on God using him for this task?   Instead of pleading for his life, he was pleading to recognize God’s will.  That was what was paramount in his prayer…God’s will over his comfort.

If we could only be as relentless in prayer about God’s will the way we are about our will for certain outcomes, we would experience God in a way unparalleled.  The joy would be in the confidence we have in the Lord instead of the fear we have in the outcome.  Jesus also prayed for God’s will – not an outcome.  ‘…yet not my will, but yours be done.’ Luke 22:42.  Mary prayed for God’s will knowing she faced a hard life.  May it be to me as you have said.’ Luke 1:38b.

God knows how tough this life is and the bloody battles we face.  But with this knowledge comes power, strength and growth deep in our spirit that moves us from weak to strong…victim to conqueror.  God will look at the meekness of our bodies and the weakness of our hearts and softly beckon through our circumstances, "Am I not sending you for this season of your life?  Am I not lifting you up to show others your testimony and your faith?  Am I not empowering you to walk through this battle?"

Wherever God is calling you to go, He is already there!

No comments: