Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hidden Among the Baggage


God changed Saul’s heart…the Spirit of God came upon him in power…Finally Saul son of Kish was chosen.  But when they looked for him, he was not to be found…And the LORD said, ‘Yes, he has hidden himself among the baggage.’  They ran and brought him out…” 1 Sam 10:9, 10, 22-23.

Yesterday I received a call from my pastor that left me reeling with the desire to go bury my head in the sand.  It is an opportunity that will certainly be a privilege and honor in serving God, but emotionally speaking a costly one.  The rising numbers of young girls on the streets are at a staggering high as fathers become less and less visible in the home.  These young girls are extremely vulnerable to sexual predators with targets on their backs.  I know that when my daughter was living on the streets, she witnessed the power daily that these men had over these girls.  That was 15 years ago and I can only imagine how rampant it must run in today’s society.  The project is Home Campaign with the purpose of getting these young girls off of the streets and moving them to a safe place.  It will require much of me emotionally as I walk among the tombs of memories buried in my heart from a time that I never wanted resurrected.  But God changed my heart this morning and has invited me to participate in the rescue of His daughters. 

This morning I find myself hiding among the baggage of my past wounds, reminding the Lord that my call is a morning devotional and grief ministry.   Isn’t that enough?  Isn’t it helping others?  Am I to be that cowardly Saul who ran when he was chosen, only to be hiding like a scared little girl?  Scripture records that the people ran out and brought him in.  This indicates that they were desperate for something that God could provide – and Saul was the instrument to be used.  Another important treasure from this passage is that it was only through the power of the Spirit of God that Saul would be capable in the call.  I will remember that truth as I consider my role in this campaign.  As I peer over the straps on the luggage, with my eyes wide open and my heart raw I will surrender to His power in this project instead of the power of past wounds.  ‘I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.’ Romans 9:17.

His call was confirmed this morning as I turned the pages of God Loves Broken People and read the following line:  In love’s service only the wounded soldiers can serve.’

God will equip you with the wisdom, power and strength for whatever service He calls you to participate with Him.  So don’t hide among the baggage…be brave and courageous and you will be blessed in the offering.

No comments: