Friday, March 1, 2013

Sought and Seen


“…he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.” Psalm 40:2-3.

Back in September I rolled my foot and am just now experiencing some days without pain.  It has been amazing how something that seems so minor has produced such a weakness in my foot.  When I walk I must always focus my eyes to the ground to assure myself that my path is free of obstacles.  I try to exercise by walking four times a week which involves me walking through a grassy hilly area to get to the concrete sidewalk.  I am always very tentative and focused on the ground until I find myself securely walking on the pavement.  The importance of my focus is the key to the success of my goal.

The same happens in our walk of faith.  Some seasons in our life will be on firm pavement where we are experiencing the calm…the stable…the secure.  Other times in our life we are crossing over challenging and unstable ground, creating the need to focus squarely on God.  What path is He having us walk?  What obstacle must we be guided around by God?  Will we be careless in our focus or look intently into God’s plan during unstable times?

Our focus on God for each step will produce a heart of humility and true gratitude.  Every day I cross over the unstable ground, I always thank God for His protection for my foot.  My weakness has established a need for Christ in the small things and sincere gratitude for His care over me.  Without that weakness I would miss out on the dependency on my Father.  I would be blind to the daily care and protection He provides.   If I learn to become dependent on His watchful eye for the little obstacles in my life I will build a faith that will give me confidence in the more challenging obstacles.  God is in all the details and desires to be sought and seen in the calm and the rocky times.

My new song is that I am grateful for my weakness for it gives God one more opportunity to be God, my protector and healer. 

No comments: