Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Ultimate Search Engine


My son, keep my words and store up my commands with you…write them on the tablet of your hearts” Proverbs 7:3.  “I will put the law in their minds and write it on their hearts” Jer. 31:33.  You show that you are a letter from Christ…written not in ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts” 2 Co. 3:3.

In the age of advanced technology, I become overwhelmed sometimes with the multiple means of communication we have in our lives.  I am checking email…checking text messages… checking private messaging on social media…voicemails on my phone and at my home…ugh, the list goes on and on!  This reality is the reason that I laughed so hard the other day when I was with my mother (she is going to kill me but can’t we all relate?).  We were having lunch and talking when she held up her phone stating that someone had sent her a fax.  I busted up laughing at that thought as I could relate to all of the different ways we send and receive information.  The different means of communication seem to bleed together.  The truth of the matter is I am the Google queen when it comes to anything, including Scripture.  I search on a certain word in an attempt to bring up a certain passage.  I have become lazy in my memorization of Scripture since I can just demand my phone to find Scripture.  As Jonah sat in the belly of the fish all he possessed was his memorization of Bible verses.  Instead of a search engine he had the words of God stamped on his mind and in his heart.  He had written the spirituals truths of God deep within his spirit and his prayers echoed the words of former prophets.

People throughout the Bible knew the importance of storing up God’s word in their hearts.  When they had to give expression to their pain or their humble gratitude there was no Google to help them find the words of those who went before them.  They studied and memorized the words of their forefathers, the prophets, and Christ Jesus Himself.  God states throughout His word that if we have a spiritually fertile heart He will plant His word there for future harvest.  Not only does He plant these truths but He placed within us His Spirit to reveal…remind…recall.  The Holy Spirit is the original search engine and the connection never drops on His end.  Through His indwelling we are able to call upon Him to give expression to our pain or our gratitude.  He is the One who provides us with the words to comfort others.  But, without learning God's truths and applying them to our hearts it will be like trying to draw water from a dry well.  We must keep our hearts spiritually fertile and our minds spiritually sharp. 

No comments: