Friday, September 27, 2013

Spiritual Tongues

They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.  All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them” Acts 2:3-4.

I have written many times about February, 2006 being the dividing line of my life.  Before that date, my relationship with God was in my head but after that date my relationship with Him was planted in my heart.  I know that the date represents when my own Acts 2 was penned on my life.  The irony of that date is that I was physically sick with the flu but spiritually sick in my heart.  That day marks the day that the Holy Spirit enabled my spiritual gift of biblical application and writing.  It was nowhere within my own abilities, but was given to me as a means of communication…my spiritual tongue to speak to others.  Along with that gift He allowed situations into my life that would be a sense of encouragement to others as they experience the same pain.  Our gifts are our spiritual tongues and our experiences are the spiritual language we speak. 

We are to use the enabling gifts of the Holy Spirit and speak it into the lives of others.  Acts 2 neither misleads nor excludes anyone.  If we are Christ followers, we have the indwelling of His Spirit.  With the indwelling comes the enabling which gives us a spiritual language unique to each of us.  Many times we do not even know what our gifts are but can be certain that there is a plan and perfect timing when it is activated.

When we intentionally enter into fellowship with God our spirit connects with His giving us understanding of our own personal language with our Father.  Then the Holy Spirit translates it into our gift as we pour it out on others.   None of us should ever underestimate any of our gifts no matter how small or how large.  Each gift is precious because it was lit with the holy fire of the Spirit.

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms…he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.  To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever.  Amen.” 1 Peter 4:10-11.

No comments: