Monday, February 24, 2014

As Moses Talked With Jesus

But the LORD said to Moses…‘Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them’” Numbers 20:12.

I must admit that I am not wild about this portion of Scripture, the reason being I am a performance based love addict in recovery.  I know that God gets weary with me as He shows me over and over again that He loves me with no strings attached.  His message for me over the past 3 years has been loud and clear…I am loved by Him because of what Christ did, not anything I have done or failed to do.  And yet, I still find myself anxious when I read that Moses who sacrificially served for over 40 years lost his blessing of entering the sweet land of God.  For Pete’s sake, look at the congregation whom he served …frustrating…ungrateful and stubborn people.  Until this morning I have always believed that this conversation between Moses and God came near the end of his life.  I was even more exasperated as I realized this morning that this was not near the end of his service.  Moses continued to lead these people through many battles on their way to the Promised Land.  Moses served God with all of his heart and interceded in prayer constantly for these people who would receive the blessing that he would not.  Nowhere is it written that Moses was bitter and angry, rather Scripture records His unfailing obedience in light of his loss of the blessing.  But then, just as my mind was going there again God pulled back His beautiful curtain and allowed me a sweet revelation. 

There he was transfigured before them.  His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.  Just then there appeared before them Moses…talking with Jesus’ Matthew 17:2-3.  Jesus, the little boy of God, precious in His sight was getting ready to lose His life.  As God and the angels watched from above, who was the one chosen by the Father to go and encourage His boy? Moses, God’s friend and faithful servant who found himself in the real Promised Land, the reality of God's favor.  While God said no to Moses on earth He said yes to Moses for the spiritual Promised Land in Heaven.  What greater land of blessing and favor is there than being chosen by God to descend to comfort and encourage Christ?  Moses had proven faithful in the overall call on his life, regardless of his failures and weaknesses.  He was not shut out from the ultimate rewards God had for his service and faithfulness. 

This is a sweet reminder this morning that whatever we lose on earth we regain in Heaven.  It is soothing to my soul that whatever failures or weaknesses we possess here fall away when we step into Glory.  I remember my final conversation with my sister Beth near the end of her life regarding the work God had for her.  I told her that she had completed the earthly work and that God had position and purpose now for her to complete in the heavenlies.  Just like Moses, we will continue to serve in Heaven and be used in the fullness of God.  

I am humbled and grateful that God never grows weary in encouraging our hearts no matter how many times we have been comforted.  I’m overwhelmed that as busy as God is He knows when His daughter’s heart needs encouraging and her hand needs holding.  God is our Father and truly wants the very best for every one of His children. 

No comments: