Thursday, March 20, 2014

Red Rover, Red Rover

But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be” 1 Co 12:18.

When I was a little girl there was a game that brought both joy and anxiety to me.  It was called Red Rover and each team had their own members.  The team would stand in a line and chant ‘Red rover, red rover, send _______ right over.’ I was always insecure and stood there anxiously hoping to hear my name.  Who doesn’t like to be chosen and accepted? 

Fast forward 45 years.  A few months ago, life provided its own game of Red Rover.  I was approached by our pastor and invited to interview for a position in our church in Women’s Ministries.  I was extremely excited as I had frequently thought I would follow in my grandmother’s footsteps.  I went through the process and in the end the team did not call my name to be come right over. There was certainly some disappointment initially but within 24 hours I knew God placed the person He wanted in that role.  Not a day has passed when I haven’t realized that God knew that position would not have fulfilled me.  God knows what makes our hearts soar and fulfills our desires.  I know that where I am in His plan is better than where I would be in my own plan.  I attended a meeting with the lovely woman who God did arrange in His body…the church…and knew immediately that she was the one who should ‘have been sent over.’  It is obvious that not only does she have the passion for the role, but her strengths and talents are perfectly matched for the goals.

When we open ourselves up to the plan and purpose of God, we pave the way for His divine opportunities to play out.  Christ is the church and we are the body of His church, called to serve in the manner He determines.  We have not all been called to serve in the actual church but we have all been called to serve in the spiritual Body.  God has determined our vocation, our length of service and our impact, and it is up to us to walk it out.  We have a team in Heaven…God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit who stand shoulder to shoulder and call each of our names to come right over.  It is our responsibility to make sure we are on the playground.

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it’” Isaiah 30:21.

No comments: