Friday, February 20, 2015

Our Flesh's Memory


When the LORD your God brings you into the land…a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build…good things you did not provide…vineyards and olive groves you did not plant…be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery” De 6:10-12.

Can I just say that I miss my mind!  It is so ridiculous the time I waste trying to recover thoughts that have temporarily escaped me.  Even things that should never be forgotten seem to be hazy like a picture out of focus.  I think I try to recall those forgotten things to be intentional and exercise my mind.  Our spiritual memory is no different.  Why is it that our flesh seems to have a better memory than our spirit?

You know what I’m talking about.  Our flesh remembers the bad that others did to us while our spirit celebrates the kindness received.  Our flesh remembers what is owed to them while our spirit is grateful to receive anything.  Our flesh remembers our past habits, and seem to lure us back to those old ways that enslaved us.  We claim victory over the worry and fretting only to remember the what-ifs.  We form healthy habits and new disciplines only for the flesh to remind us of the benefits of picking up the old ways.

God knows the importance of recalling His past goodness.  He wants us to marinate in the past deliverances and miracles to cement our spiritual progression.  It’s easier to see the transforming progress of our faith by looking back and taking time to exercise our spiritual memory.  I may not be where I want to end up but I’m farther than I’ve ever been.

Father, please exercise our spiritual memory so we can be in a constant state of healthy worship and praise!

No comments: