Tuesday, April 21, 2015

His Delights

Hear and pay attention, do not be arrogant, for the LORD has spoken” Jeremiah 13:15.  “This is what the LORD says... ‘but let him who boasts boast about this:  that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,’ declares the LORD.’” Jeremiah 9:23-24.

There is nothing more destructive than pride, and the flesh hungers and thirsts for its presence.  Pride is talked about from Genesis to Revelation.  I read a definition of pride this morning in my Bible study which really resonated with me.  Melissa Spoelstra defines pride as an elusive thing that takes many forms.  Simply stated pride is an obsession with self.  ‘Apart from God’s work in our lives, every one of us will make decisions to serve our own interests – to paint ourselves in the best light and work out situations to our benefit,’ Jeremiah, Daring to Hope in an Unstable World, p. 148.

The manner in which my pride took form was taking credit for things in the past.  My pride was fueled by insecurity and my pursuit of self-worth.  For me, when I would talk about the things I had accomplished it was my need to be accepted and validated that was crying out through my boasting.  This too was pride for it demonstrated my disbelief in the value that Christ claims I possess.  Only through pushing deeper in my relationship with Him was I able to see the prideful areas.  As I get to know Him better and understand what He stands for I can release trying to gain the approval of others.  We are told what things that He delights in...exercising kindness to all...working on behalf of the least of those to bring about justice, and pursue a life of righteousness.

Pride screams I don’t have time...pride echoes someone else will help and pride masquerades in many different masks.  We must root ourselves in Christ so He can show us the transforming heart work that each of us must do.  Apart from Him we can do nothing.

Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches.  Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit.  For apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5.

No comments: