Tuesday, April 7, 2015

His Turn To Talk

My heart has heard you say, ‘Come and talk with me.’ And my heart responds, ‘LORD, I am coming.’” Psalm 27:8.

Bruce has taken a temporary assignment for work in Augusta, Georgia where he resides Sunday – Thursday. When we are reunited each week it seems we have tons to talk about just to catch each other up on our lives. Last Friday night, we went to our favorite restaurant and I began to pour out my week in the conversation. I laugh looking back because we must have looked like THAT couple...you know the one...she talks and he sits there dazed over. I finally looked at him and advised him that it was now his turn to talk.

All joking aside, how much of our prayer life is similar to that restaurant image? We go several days without really talking to God, and when we finally decide to sit still we go on and on about our life. We talk...we ask...we beg...we plead but do we even give Him a chance to answer? Do we determine when it is His turn to talk or do we grab the spiritual check and determine it’s time to leave? God pursues time with us not just to hear us talk, but to reveal to us things we don’t even know we need. He wants to share His heart with us not just His ears. God is the greatest listener there is, but He is even a better communicator if we will just give Him the chance to talk.

What if we listened first and then spoke? What if our words to Him were in response to His words to us? Any great dialogue is made up of talking and listening. We must carve out time with our precious Father who has the keys to life and peace for our hearts. His words are the beginning and the end of everything we need to know to navigate through our tough circumstances.

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know’ Jeremiah 33:3. When He calls to us may we have the same heart of Jeremiah and answer, ‘Lord, I am coming!’

No comments: