Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Alarming Truths

But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in your hands...In my alarm, I said, ‘I am cut off from your sight...’  The LORD preserves the faithful...Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.” Psalm 31:14, 22-24.

I just love reading the Bible because it exemplifies every facet of our faith...or lack of.  This passage is from a Psalm that David penned, wherein he emotionally swings between faith and fear.  He claims that both his days are numbered and God is orchestrating every detail of his life.  Yet, in that same message to God he accuses Him of turning His back on David.  He then ends His time with the Lord by making an intellectual proclamation that God preserves the faithful.  He encourages His reader to be strong and take heart and hope in God.  So who is he really trying to convince?

There have been so many times in my own prayers that I show this same emotional range.  I begin by thanking God for the times He has delivered me from my challenges.  I recite Psalm 139:16 telling Him that I know all of my days have been ordained.  And then something or someone happens threatening my peace and my panic rises...my flesh alarm sounds.  Suddenly, I’m not feeling God...I’m allowing my fear to engulf my faith...I’m inviting Satan in to disrupt my peace. 

Panic and fear are normal emotions that we must put to rest whenever we feel them on the rise.  Like David, we must be armed with the words of God to remind us of His faithfulness.  We must speak life and truth into our own hearts so the lies will be put to death.  How can we convince others of His faithfulness if we are not first convinced?

When the alarm sounds and the panic swells we can turn to the Word and allow God to comfort us, encourage us and teach us how to trust in Him.  Without His intervention through His words we will fall victim to walking out our circumstances in fear and doubt instead of faith. He is anywhere and He is everywhere if we will just look for Him.

Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” Psalm 139:7-10.


No comments: