Monday, January 30, 2017

Blessing Christ

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me’” Matthew 25:40.

A few years back a group of ladies at our church in charge of finding a speaker for an event invited me to speak on comfort. I am certainly not a speaker but try to be obedient and open to the opportunities God presents to me. I worked on my speech in theory, wrote it and it was time to practice. I remember one of the best things Bruce ever said to me was in response to a statement I made regarding one of my frustrations. I told him that I wished I could speak without using notes like our pastor, Talbot. He looked at me and said, ‘God didn’t call you to be Talbot, He called you to be Brenda.’ I have never forgotten that and am blessed by that when I begin comparing myself to others.

The morning of the Ladies’ Winter Warmer came and the organizers informed me that there were 125 women in attendance. I felt a sense of dread come over me so I immediately went to prayer. After some prayers of admission regarding my fears, I asked the Lord what on earth I had to share with all these women? He tenderly spoke into my heart, ‘Brenda, if you bless one woman you have blessed me.’ That simple but powerful thought completely transformed my mind and heart. I went on to speak, and afterwards a woman shared with me that she had just admitted to her husband her secret spending. As most of you are aware secret spending was the toxic comfort to which I turned when going through a tough and painful time. That was the basis for my speech that day, Comfort – Secret or Sacred? I completely lived out the promise of Christ that day, since I knew God used my circumstances of past sin to bless this woman who had the courage to lay her behavior down and repent.

God sends opportunities into our lives daily where we can bless another…a smile…a kind word…a Scripture verse...our testimony. Our ways to bless others don’t have to be grandiose…a blessing is a blessing. We must see our behavior and words toward others as the way we treat Christ. He wants to bless us right back when we bless Him.

No comments: