Thursday, July 4, 2019

Keep Singing

Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth—let your cry ring out and sing praises!” Psalm 98:4

Yesterday I was on my walk in a nearby neighborhood. Some days there are people out jogging, while other days some are walking their dogs. For the most part, I usually take the same route, so I know the distance I’ve walked. As I approached an intersection, I turned the corner and there was a woman watering her lawn. She smiled and said something to me, but I had my air-pods in listening to my worship music. I removed them to speak to her, and she only said three words. ‘Keep on singing!’ I was embarrassed and even apologized that she heard me coming around the corner. My singing is just that…noise you wouldn’t necessarily enjoy but I’m counting on it pleasing the Lord and singing does bring me such joy.

As I began walking again Psalm 98:4 came to mind and I couldn’t help but to smile. The verse doesn’t command us to make a pleasurable noise to the Lord in our singing. The verse simply states what the woman said to me, ‘Keep on singing!’ What does a joyful noise sound like in your life and in mine? A joyful noise is to pray for someone who is going through a tough time. A joyful noise is to count our blessings in gratitude and humility when our heart hurts. A joyful noise is to embrace His will for our lives instead of our own. It is a heart cry that trusts in His promises when nothing is seen on the horizon. Letting our cry ring out can be noises of weeping, allowing God to comfort and encourage us. Letting our cry ring out is sharing our testament from our experiences. I love that this verse is a cause and effect verse. It promises that if we keep singing and talking to God our hearts will experience a 'break forth moment.' Our worry will turn to worship when we sing...our sadness will turn to gratitude when we thank Him for our blessings...our fears will turn to faith when we fix our eyes upon the Faithful.

Breaking forth…what a beautiful image to consider when we are in the dark valley. “Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear…and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.” Isaiah 58:8. When we sing praises to God apart from our circumstances joy is ushered into our hearts and our minds. We’ve got to keep singing… keep trusting…keep praying…and ‘then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.” Isaiah 58:10-11.

No comments: