Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A Box of Crayons

“God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” Matthew 5:7

I don’t believe that I am going out on a limb to say that 2021 has already had far more troubles for those I love than 2020. Leading up to today, I have had the most difficulty is forming prayers for those in dire consequences than ever before. I have never had to shift more prayers from healing to acceptance as I have had to over the past 6 weeks. I have stood on spiritual tip-toes reaching towards the top shelf for encouragement to share with others. I’ve found myself leaning over the edge extending a hand to those to no avail. I’ve watched a large region of prayer warriors rush Heaven’s gates on behalf of a failing heart who is now walking the golden streets. I’ve pleaded with God for huge revelations to pass along and far-reaching mercies to impart to others. In all of this and through all of this Satan would have us believe that our prayers went unheard…that God was distracted saving others…that ‘in the name of Jesus’ wasn’t enough. What do we do with all of these unsettling emotions? How do we still pray in confidence when those we prayed for didn’t receive their desired outcome?

Through the night as I was praying for comfort for a certain family, I suddenly remembered that as a little girl when I saw someone whom I loved upset, angry, or sad I would color them a picture. There was great joy for me in choosing the right image…arranging the right crayons in the order I wanted to use them…intently keeping it inside the lines. I remember that I always took my time coloring my pictures because it was the one thing that I believed could make them feel better. It never failed when I reached up towards them with my colorful page and a confident smile. Their eyes would meet mine, their brow would relax a bit, and their tear-streaked face would lift just a little. Whether it was ‘refrigerator worthy’ or not, they always seemed better than before.

I believe that is the point of a Christian heart and its response to suffering. When I colored those pictures, I was resolved that there was nothing I could do to fix their troubles. Somewhere in my mind, I understood that everything would eventually be okay. In the recesses of my heart, I knew that my part was simply to offer a small mercy. No grand gesture…no eloquent words…no earthshaking revelations. Just a child with a coloring book, some crayons, and a heart to help.

We will never know how largely received our small mercies are when we reach out to the brokenhearted. We will never know how God will use us to minister to His hurting children. There is great freedom in the acceptance of God’s will, the reality of eternity, the promised reunions, and the privilege of extending His love and comfort to another.


No comments: