Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Feathering our Nest

Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” Psalm 103:2-5


I haven’t read Psalm 103 in a long time and yet the fruit of its message should be on my lips daily. Why do we need a reminder of all the benefits of God? I believe it is because we live in a culture who wants us to forget His promises and remind us of everything that is wrong with our lives. This morning I didn’t want to just read the chapter, I wanted to relive the benefits. In reminiscing my past, I was both humbled and grateful for all the benefits I have been given through Christ. I was so blessed to understand the context of the last sentence about renewal.

In reading the original Hebrew of Psalm 103:5, commentaries state that this renewal is like when an eagle is molting. When eagles molt, they have to give up their feathers, because as they fly, fish, and nest, their feathers become heavy from being covered in dirt and oil. When they molt, the old feathers fall out and fresh new ones replace the old, allowing for better flying, soaring, and protectionLooking for Lovely, Annie Downs, p. 73. Like I always say, there is so much to learn about ourselves by learning about creation since the same hands created both.

I wonder this morning if you find yourself in a molting season? Are there feathers you have lost leaving you heartbroken like a job, health, or even a loved one? Do you believe that God will bring new feathers to cover your wounds and heal your heart? Jesus cautioned us that in this world trouble will find us, and pain will be our companion during some seasons. But God tells the seasons when it’s time to change, and remembering His benefits during these tumultuous times can help anchor and stabilize our faith. We must believe in the renewal of our hearts, our minds, and our circumstances. Through our remembrances of God’s past faithfulness, we can regain our footing and walk in the confidence of our healing. We can feather our new nest with His lovingkindness and mercies that are available each and every morning.




No comments: