Monday, August 30, 2021

Not our Destiny

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.” Colossians 3:1


None of us have to look very far to find chaotic and heartbreaking circumstances in our world. Between hurricanes, wars, and diseases many of us are finding it challenging to attain lasting peace. As soon as we settle ourselves from one newscast, another one blasts into our homes with all of its chaos and threats of what might come to pass…what has possibly come to pass. It’s enough to scare us to death and it’s also the reason we must be intentional about what we feed our mind. It is so important to unplug from the news of the world and plug into the truth of the Word.

We need to remind ourselves that we are only passing through this life, certainly not depending on anything from it. Our circumstances can easily set the table for what we feed on during different seasons. Just like this is not our home, our seasons are not our entire story, rather chapters of God’s ongoing love and will for each of us. ‘Sometimes my soul feels stuck in my circumstances, but I know this world is not my home. Its brokenness and hurt are not my destiny. And this pain and heartbreak will not be the end of my story.Seeing Beautiful Again, Lysa TerKeurst, p. 228.

When we choose to focus on the home we have with Christ, the fears that rise within our soul loses its power. When we recall that Christ has overcome the most difficult season of all we can be confident that He will help us overcome ours. It is so tempting to replay past seasons in our heart resurrecting the wounds that God desires us to be healed from. We cannot keep taking the same spiritual ground from past battles; it is time to conquer new spiritual ground. It is time to lay those past wounds at God’s feet, turn our focus to the future, and receive the good God has for us. ‘There are so many moments when I forget what is ahead and dwell on what is already behind me. But when I fixate on my past, I place a stumbling block in the way of my future’ p. 230.

Focus matters because in a world that is so unstable, we must be intentional about what thoughts we feed. Fear was never meant to be our destiny, but faith is!




No comments: