Friday, September 17, 2010

Barefoot Cinderellas

“Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe…” Luke 8:12

I am coming out of a season of attack from the enemy who convinced me that I had control over my spiritual development and holiness. I was under a veil of self-condemnation for my responses to emotions invoked by an extreme set of circumstances in caregiving. I was continuously measuring myself against the perfection of Christ. In the end, I always fell short emotionally and suffered continuous spiritual failure. My jailbreak was through God showing me that only through His sacrifice are we complete enough to be holy. While we can live a life of transformation we can never live an earthly life of perfection and complete holiness. He confirmed this lesson through two wonderful sets of writings as I prayed for God to release me from this self made prison. You will be blessed like I have been.

‘Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, warns against dangerous preoccupation with our own ‘personal whiteness’ as he calls it, referring to the unhealthy kind of introspection that focuses on our inadequacies rather than on God’s power to redeem and change our lives. As long as our eyes are upon our own personal whiteness we shall never get near the reality of Redemption…The continual grubbing on the inside to see whether we are what we ought to be generates a self-centered, morbid type of Christianity, not the robust, simple life of the child of God.'

Joanna Weaver, Having a Mary Spirit, writes: ‘For Satan loves to twist our salvation stories and insist that, while for a moment our pumpkins may have become carriages and our rags glistening gowns, midnight has tolled, and it’s time we face reality. He insists we’re nothing more than barefoot Cinderellas, beggar girls trying to find our way back home, with no happily-ever-after to close our stories and no handsome Prince to call our own. That no matter how much we wish and hope and dream, we will never experience lasting change (in our spiritual growth)…We act like slave girls instead of daughters of the King. p. 18

I don’t know about you but I am going to put on my glass slippers and go dancing with my Prince! The great part is that Satan didn’t get an invitation!

No comments: