Friday, September 10, 2010

Pencil Him In...

“For this is the covenant that I will make…says the LORD: I will put My laws in their minds and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.” Hebrews 8:10.

Many years ago Bill Cosby had an HBO stand up routine that was hilarious. I remember he was describing a time when his wife frustratingly looked at their children and said, ‘I am sick…’ at which point their little four year finished her sentence by saying, ‘…and tired.’ It was the fact that that child had been in a relationship wherein he knew the thoughts and past responses of his parent. It was only through the fellowship between the two that the child knew the mind of his mother. The more my children spent time with me the more they understood my views and beliefs on everything. They could determine ahead of time my inclination towards anything.

Through constant fellowship with our Father we will also know His feelings about everything we will face in life. He will neither remain mysterious in His will nor silent in His leadings. The Bible states, ‘Then he opened their minds, so they could understand the Scriptures.’ Luke 24:45. Through pursing Him, we learn to reason like Him, think like Him and discern like Him.

In my own life, I have used meditation and Bible Studies as the open conduit for God to place His laws in my mind. These are the truths that are intellectually mine during the calm days but only through experience have they been written on my heart. We must know these intellectual truths before we can apply them spiritually in tough times. For me, it has been as if God penciled His truths and principles in my mind but the experiences that forced me to apply His truths were inked on to my heart. Through our pursuit of a deeper relationship with God we are promised to receive His knowledge, His wisdom and His revelations for our lives.

…and who knows? Maybe we will be able to finish God’s sentences as we approach our situations.

No comments: