Saturday, September 11, 2010

Even Halloween

“No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.” 1 John 2:23

My grandson, Carson gives me so much applicable material to work with in my devotions, in addition to lots of laughter. The other day I had picked him up and was taking him for ice cream. His sole focus was a brochure that showed the different prizes he could receive through his school’s fundraiser. He couldn’t understand that he had to earn these and I was unable to go out and buy these for him. He got mad at me and told me that I wasn’t his Emmy anymore. I went on to tell him that while that was not what I wanted I would accept his decision and remove myself as his Emmy. I explained to him that if he denied my ‘Emmyship’ today that it would also be denied at Christmas and his birthday. He thought for a moment and said, ‘Emmy, you can be my Emmy at Christmas, my birthday and EVEN Halloween!’ Carson determined which seasons he would accept me as his Emmy.

Boy, do we do the same with God! We want to find Him at certain times and certain seasons. We want Him to give when we wish to receive. We want the blessings without the pain. We banish Him from certain areas of our lives that we do not wish to surrender and we accept Him in certain areas where we claim to trust Him.

Until we are willing to allow God to be God in every situation, in every season and in every painful circumstance we will miss the blessings He has for us.

PS - I was his Emmy again before the ice cream melted!

No comments: