Thursday, October 6, 2011

Considering Him...

“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant…for the Mighty One has done great things for me- holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.” Luke 1:46-50.

This passage speaks of God being mindful of us but what about our responsibility of considering Him. I love the definition of mindful which is ‘being actively attentive, or deliberately keeping something in mind.’ I have suffered much grief in the past five years but no grief equals the degree that I have felt regarding the ways I have grieved God. There was an abundance of blessings and mercies that I never experienced because I had plugged in to the world instead of God. I experienced life seeking the approval of the world over the approval of the Creator of the world. I do not say this as self-condemning talk but rather as a consideration of the manner in which He has rescued me. ‘Consider what great things he has done for you.’ 1 Sa. 12:24.

To consider is to reflect on something, examine and to look very carefully at the subject. In order to consider God, I must consider the state of my heart from which He delivered me. Don’t get me wrong…I detest remembering the ways I have failed. But we cannot truly consider what great things He has done for us without remembering our failures. It is through this reflection that we are able to remain humble and reverent. It is through our careful thought process that we reconsider previous actions and decisions. Through all of this we become vessels of teaching and open books of testimonies. Through our reflection of who we were and from the depths that God has brought us we are able to encourage, relate and show future generations His mighty ways. We cannot focus on where we were but rather how far we have come in Him. ‘There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.’ Romans 8:1. The work that God does in each of our lives is not to condemn but to transform and liberate.

Remember, God does not ask us for perfection but rather for devotion.

No comments: