Friday, October 7, 2011

You Are Invited!

"You prepare a table before me…You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm 23:5, 6

Years ago, Bruce and I were invited to the most incredible celebration of marriage for which I have ever attended. It was positioned on the property of a historical mansion in Wilmington. It was truly right out of a novel and the guests were made to feel as special as the bride. We truly felt as if it was thrown for us as much as for them. I remember approaching the lawn wide-eyed as I scanned the beautiful grounds of fairy tale lights and tables covered with exquisite decorations. With a child-like excitement I searched the tables for our place cards which were scripted with the beautiful flow of gold ink. I was honored to be a guest at that celebration and excited to be at that specific table to share the experience with my close friends who the host had thoughtfully seated together.

As wonderful as that experience was I cannot even begin to imagine the celebration and feast when sitting at the Lords table in Heaven. In the phrase my Grandmother would sometimes use, ‘I am on my tip-toes’ in anticipation of the thought of going to His banquet. After I enter into His wondrous presence and move into the gates of heaven, I will rush past the saints with child-like excitement to look for my place card designed just for me. Will I secretly swap my card for another so I can sit by Daddy? Will I be sitting close to Beth? Will I sit across from my sweet grandparents? The Host will stand there smiling in delight at my giddy demeanor and will gracefully come to me, and place those precious hands on my head with His warm touch to anoint me. My commentary states that being anointed with oil was customary treatment of an honored guest at a banquet. We each will be that honored guest and my heart overflows with joy of this knowledge. The goodness and love of God will be forever around me, before me and beside me.

He dwells within me on earth but one beautiful day I will dwell with Him in Heaven…so will you. There is a place card with your name in the heavenlies with the beautiful scripted flow of gold ink and His warm hands await....

No comments: