Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Collision with Insecurity

“I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home in my palace, contented and prosperous.” Daniel 4:4

Contented and prosperous’…two pursuits that seem to elude us as we chase them through life. Capturing these ghosts is as hard as identifying what makes up these words. The bottom line of this pursuit is our belief that they will bring us security.

In our lives, we all build palaces surrounding those beliefs of what it is that will secure our happiness. We build things and relationships around those who feed our insecurities giving us doses of our prescribed fixes. For me, my insecurity has always dealt with attainment of the approval and love of others. Very early in life, I decided that the more I did for people the better the chance they would approve of me. The problem came when I entered a season where my insecurity had a head-on collision with another person’s insecurity.

The more I served in that season in attempts to get my insecurity fix the more it triggered her life-long insecurity. I was consistently attacked verbally and emotionally and had never worked so hard serving in my entire life. This cycle continued for almost a year…nobody was receiving their dose of medicine.

It wasn’t until I surrendered my emotional condition to God that He was able to prescribe the perfect medicine…His love and approval no matter what. I gave myself permission to accept the fact that not everyone is going to love me or even like me. God showed me in that season that my service should be measured against the approval of God, not man. He freed me up from an emotional condition that I had nursed my entire life. ‘Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.’ Gal. 1:10.

Seeking the approval of others over the approval of God will no longer reside in my palace. My content and security will be in the Lord alone. ‘My soul finds rest in God alone…He alone is my rock…he is my fortress.’ Psalm 62:1-2

I, Brenda, am at home in my palace in Him, contented and prosperous!

No comments: