Monday, January 23, 2012

To Tell The Truth

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Col. 3:1-4.

When I was growing up there was a game show that I absolutely loved. The show was called To Tell the Truth and for those too young to remember I will explain. There was one contestant who had prepared a list of questions for a panel of three anonymous people. Each person on the panel claimed to be a certain person living a certain life. The questions were asked to determine the real person, and which ones were just claiming to be that person. At the end of the questioning, the game show host would say ‘Would the real ______ please stand up?’

Well last night I am sure that Bruce wanted to ask that same question of me. My goal each day is to set my heart and mind on more spiritual things and to not allow the earthly things to drag me into the weeds. Well I am coughing up weeds this morning as I am convicted that my spiritual sights were not in focus. As I pursue righteousness, I am reminded this morning that we will never be perfect in our pursuit this side of Heaven, but will be blessed in our pursuit of perfecting our faith. I am also humbled and thankful that there is fresh forgiveness each morning. ‘Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.’ La 3:21-23.

When we choose the ways of God we become hidden in Christ only reflecting His appearance. When we feed our flesh and focus on the things of this earth we reflect our earthly selves. People will look upon our lives and question if we are who we say we are. They will be confused by our actions when they do not match up to our claims. They will have to ask us, ‘Will the real ____ please stand up?

I am so thankful that each morning is a day of fresh mercies and compassion from a God who ‘does not change like shifting shadows’ (James 1:17b). God beckons and exhorts us to live a life for which He created us. When focusing on Him, we are asked certain questions to help define who we are according to our Creator. He does not ask because He does not know. He questions us to reveal the answer through this fellowship.

As the ultimate Host, He continuously asks of us, ‘Will the child I created please stand up!’

No comments: