Monday, January 9, 2012

Wild Fires

“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God…Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.” 2 Tim. 1:6, 14.

We live in the middle of the woods with few neighbors in sight. To the left of our property is a wooded lot on which the owner has never built a home. For many years, they have brought a load of dead Christmas trees together and set them ablaze as part of their tradition after New Year’s Day…and man is it a blaze! The height and intensity of the flame is overwhelming and the heat must be so intense that faces must be turned away for a break. All of this however fails in comparison to the impact it would make if it were to no longer be contained and spread throughout the property. This brings me to our little patio, our little propane heater, the little pilot light and the limited heat it puts out. In relation to my spiritual gift of compassion and mercy, I offered a space heater this weekend.

God has entrusted me with a grief ministry that provides me the privilege of witnessing first-hand the healing work of the Holy Spirit. I am tenderly connected with a raw heart to the pain and suffering of those who are experiencing the loss of loved ones. But this morning, I am both convicted and saddened by my lack of compassion and mercy to someone who tearfully shared with me the pain of facing the one year anniversary of the loss of their loved one. This particular person has provided me with a more than challenging relationship over many years. I am completely ashamed to admit that her tears fell on a cold heart this weekend. Apparently, at some point along the way, I forgot that I was created in the image of God – not created to be God. Emotionally, I decided my ministry didn’t extend to all and apparently only to some. ‘But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it…Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!’ James 2:9-13. Like most mornings, the Word had a voice louder than any other noise.

I am praising God this morning for His forgiveness and for sending the Holy Spirit to rescue me from myself. I humbly expose myself this morning to exhort everyone to live out your faith ‘burning dead Christmas trees’ with the possibilities of catching every heart around you on fire for God. Don’t live your life hunched up against a cold metal pole searching for that one little spot that provides warmth for a few.

Let our gifts from God fan out to everyone instead of handpicking the ones who we deem as worthy. Let our hearts be focused on setting the cold hearts of this world ablaze in order that all will know God. Jesus Christ obediently and submissively climbed up on that cross for every person on this earth, including the ones who nailed Him to the cross.

May each of us bring our own spiritually dead Christmas trees for God’s holy match to ignite!

No comments: