Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Acceptable Gifts

“My father had it in his heart to build a temple for the Name of the Lord…Nevertheless, you are not the one to build the temple… ‘…there is no God like you – you who keep your covenant of love…who continue wholeheartedly in your way.’ ‘You have kept your promise…with your mouth you have promised and with your hand you have fulfilled it – as it is today.’” 1Kings 8:17, 19, 23-24.

King David had a plan and was determined for God to have a physical temple. He had in his heart that his next work project would be to build a temple for the Name of the Lord. God confirmed through David’s prophet, Nathan, that while this was a good endeavor it wasn’t the work plan God had for David. God had His own reasons why David would not carry through with the desire of his heart but He did allow David’s son to carry out the plan. His son, Solomon was well aware of his dad’s desire and what God had told him. Although it must have stung David’s heart that his work plans didn’t match God’s plans, David was known as a man who had a heart for God. David’s heart was Spirit-purposed instead of flesh-purposed. ‘When David longed to build God a dwelling place for His Name, God reshaped the vision and fulfilled the promise by His own power.’ Nehemiah, p. 31.

I know in my own personal desires, I felt that God was leading me to write books. It was according to His will and plan for me to write one, but He then led me into another work plan. My writing is more of a day to day application than days spent in the process of publishing and book signings. Getting the message of a deeper fellowship with God was in my heart but He had a better way to accomplish spreading this message. I have struggled with letting go of what I had in my heart and accepting what means in which I am to operate.

Because David was looking onto the spiritual landscape through God’s desires he was able to respond with complete joy and gratitude. There is one thing that will move us from our desire to the desire of God as Paul wrote about in 2 Co. 8:1-12…grace. ‘…we want you to know about the grace that God has given…but they gave themselves first to the Lord…And here is my advice about what is best for you in this matter: Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable.’

I know personally that anytime I give myself to the Lord first, He will reshape the vision in my heart and give me the grace to accept it. Many times, I have prayed for a willing heart to accept the things that disappoint me and reshape the visions that are deep in my heart.

‘…with your mouth you have promised it and with your hands you will fulfill it – as it is today.’

1 comment:

Andrea Campbell said...

Brenda, I am so glad God has led you to write daily reflections on His word. They certainly are a blessing to my life. Although books are wonderful too, this is what I need. God bless you!