Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Break Our Hearts

“In the month…while I was in the citadel of Susa…one of my brothers came…and I questioned them. They said to me, ‘Those…are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall…is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.’ When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.” Nehemiah 1:1-4.

Have I ‘tripped over’ a precious book of the Bible! Before going to purchase a new Bible Study, I always pray to God for guidance in this purchase and a study that He feels I need. I am getting ready to begin a new session of GriefShare. I am well aware that I require fresh compassion in this endeavor. Like every study, God has divinely chosen yet another one specifically needed by my heart. In working with grief and adversity, it is very easy to get accustomed to the pain of others. I hear and witness so much suffering that the enemy tries to harden my heart and muffle my spirit. Well God will have none of it this morning!

In the beginning of the study of Nehemiah, I am reminded of the parallels in the opening of this story with our lives. He is the cupbearer of the king (very prestigious position) and is on holiday in the winter resort of Susa. He is surrounded no doubt with every luxury afforded and is definitely removed from the suffering of others. When his brother and some other men come to visit, he inquires about Jerusalem. The report they gave broke his heart for those far away.

How many times do we sit in our comfortable homes and community and actually inquire beyond ourselves? When do we purposely go out of our way to have the spiritual vision of those poor in spirit? When was the last time your heart was broken for someone other than your circle that prompted you to take action?

To have a heart like God, we must be willing to ask God to break our heart for the things for which His heart breaks. We must be willing to ask to be a part of the reconciliation of the pain of others instead of the comfort of our own lives. So many people right here in our communities have broken lives and burnt out hope.

We must sit down in prayer, weep for others instead of just for ourselves, and ask God for an action plan. We must be prepared to leave our comfortable ‘resorts’ and engage in the suffering of others. Jesus did this and we are to live a life exemplified by Him.

Lord, we are afraid to pray this prayer but give us courage to approach you with the request to break our heart for the things that break Yours. Amen

No comments: