Saturday, March 10, 2012

Surf's Up!

This morning I decided to walk while at the coast and was blessed by revelation as I always am when overlooking God’s majestic creation. I was walking on the pier when I glanced from side to side. What I noticed drew parallels in my Christian walk. On the beach were people who were suiting up to ride the waves and others who were setting up chairs to watch. But, what really caught my heart were the surfers who were already balanced on their boards. The surfers varied in their stance as some were in the shallow waters while others were standing guard further out. Then there were a few who were paddling out towards the swells as if embracing their threats and inviting their punch…these are the different stages of faith.

For many years I was sitting in my chair on the shore watching the champion surfers of faith ride the waves above their circumstances. It was intimidating and I sat there in hopes that the waves would not come near me. But they did and as I began getting closer to God, learning His precepts and balancing on His promises, I got on my spiritual surfboard so I could practice my balance. Through tests and trials I lost my balance sometimes, along with being knocked off my board by the circumstances of life. Through the variations of the swells that approached my faith, my balance became better and better. It was only through centering my life on God that I had consistent balance in my life. I only have to look as far as my grandmother to see the champion surfer who paddled out to sea embracing the swells and riding the surf.

Like the surfers our remembrance of the spiritual swells are based on the intensity of their strength. The more intense the trial, the deeper our faith grows. We can each experience spiritual surfing atop the waves through learning how to center ourselves in Christ. All of the surfers had certain things in common:

They all suited up – “Finally, be strong in the Lord …Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand…” Eph. 6:10-11.

They all anticipated the swells “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering as though something strange were happening to you.” 1 Peter 4:12.

They all recovered from the punch. “Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.” Psalm 107:6.

They ALL got back up on their boards. “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him…you may participate in the divine nature and escape…” 2 Peter 1:3-4.

Let’s go surfing!

No comments: