Thursday, March 22, 2012

Treasure Troves

Set your mind on the things above, not on earthly things.” Col 3:2.

Not only is this great advice for living our lives and experiencing God, but it is one of God’s desires for us. He desires for each of His children to focus on the good things that come from Him instead of the challenges that we face in this world. He knows that by focusing on love, goodness, peace, joy and an eternal city beyond this world we can endure anything. We lose our faith and get tangled up in our emotions when we focus on our problems, fears, doubts and the temporal earthly situations. If we are looking at self, we are not looking to God.

If anyone had a reason to get lost in their own thoughts it would have been Mary, mother of Jesus. Her thoughts could have mastered over her in ways that would have frustrated the will of God. She could have convinced herself when she became pregnant Joseph would divorce her. She might have chosen to fear for her reputation and standing in the city. Her thoughts could have been crowded with fear of what would become of this little baby. Let’s face it – she could have dizzied herself in ways we could never imagine. But instead, she ‘treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.’ Luke 2:19. Her song was not woe is me but mighty is He! ‘…for the Mighty One has done great things for me – holy is his name.’ Luke 1:49. ‘Mary focused on God’s power, holiness and mercy.’ Application New Testament Commentary, p. 245.

‘The original Greek denotes that she conferred with herself and brought all her experiences and God’s wonders together in her mind…Meditation involves not only ‘storing’ our thoughts (kept and treasured) like Mary did, but also ‘studying’ them (pondered).’ Me, Myself and Lies, p. 21.

In the spirit of Mary’s example, I decided to lay claim to my treasure trove. Mine goes something like this:

In 2006, God pursued me … (He called me into a deeper intimacy)
In 2007, God enabled me … (He gifted me with writing)
In 2008, God called me … (He called me into forming Emerging Life Ministries)
In 2009, God sustained me … (He provided His sustenance through family illnesses)
In 2010, God carried me … (I could not walk on my own while caregiving my father-in-law)
In 2011, God delivered me … (He showed me that His love was not based on service)

When you find your mind wandering toward earthly things that distract you from God’s wonders and Word, fix your mind on things above.’ Me, Myself and Lies, p. 21.

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God... Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you.’ Psalm 40:3, 5

No comments: