Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Doing the Next Thing


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” Phil 4:6-7.

Have you ever had an itch that needed to be scratched but it couldn’t be reached.  It seems that the itch becomes all-consuming until relief comes.  Well, yesterday relief came.  Over the past couple months I felt God leading and confirming through many sources my next step towards His will for my life.  I still cannot tell you what it is because I do not even know myself.  All I know is that God developed a spiritual itch that I could not ignore.  Through prayer, study and meditation He encouraged me to reach out and offer my name for consideration in some type of women’s ministries.  Much like a golfer who concentrates on his swing instead of the outcome, I cannot look into the future.  I must have spiritual concentration on the next step which God reveals to me. 

Yesterday, although nervous and feeling insecure, I reached out and scratched that spiritual itch and boy did it feel great!  It matters not where it will lead because I know that He already has that worked out.  The relief of stretching beyond my fears and insecurities brought both peace and contentment.  In considering the ‘spiritual swing’ of yesterday I can have confidence that all I need is to watch for God to show me the next thing to do.  As I considered these words this morning…Do the next thing…I was led to an old poem which blessed me this morning.  I wish to share this poem with you written by Elisabeth Elliot.  As the words come into your mind and heart, I invite you to allow its meaning to relate to any anxiety you may be feeling this morning about your own future.  God is in complete control of every situation in all of our lives.   As we walk towards Him we can have the complete assurance of victory if we just watch for God and then do the next thing.

Do The Next Thing

"At an old English parsonage down by the sea, there came in the twilight a message to me.  Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven that, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven. And all through the hours the quiet words ring, like a low inspiration, 'Do the next thing.'

Many a questioning, many a fear, many a doubt hath its quieting here. Moment by moment, let down from heaven, time, opportunity, guidance are given. Fear not tomorrow, child of the King, trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer, do it reliantly, casting all care. Do it with reverence, tracing His hand, who placed it before thee with earnest command. Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing, leave all resultings, do the next thing.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener, working or suffering be thy demeanor, in His dear presence, the rest of His calm, the light of His countenance, be thy psalm. Do the next thing."

No comments: