Wednesday, January 23, 2013

So It Will Be


The LORD Almighty has sworn, ‘Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand.’  For the LORD Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him?  His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?” Isa. 14:24, 27.

In the past, I have looked for ways to serve God much to my own dismay as I experienced burnout.  I would have my calendar so full of service items that many days were met with dread simply out of exhaustion.  The older I get, the greater understanding I have that I am not the one to initiate service to God.  God has constantly been at work since the beginning of time.  He has the complete creation picture and has the wisdom, the power and the perfect timing for ‘everything under the sun.’  Eccl 3:1. 

God has an overall purpose for the world based on His love for us, and His desire to invite everyone into a loving relationship with Him.  He sets His purposes and plans in action, and then initiates and invites those of His choosing to help accomplish His goals.  His purposes will not change but whom He invites may be altered based on their response.  For example, a friend of mine was approached to serve in our church’s ministry for those 55 years and older…that was God’s initiation for my friend.  Whether she accepted or not would not have thwarted the plan for God to grow that ministry.  Her acceptance certainly blessed her and the members in that group, but God was going to do great things with that ministry regardless.  My friend’s desire to develop a more intimate relationship with God was the key to being invited into God’s work.  She pursued a deeper relationship with God, and through their love relationship He stretched out His hand inviting her to join Him in this ministry. 

According to Henry Blackaby, co-author of Experiencing God we are to pray for God to show us where He is already at work and then watch for His revelation.  Whatever God reveals to us is an invitation to join Him.  Once we have been invited to join God, we must make adjustments in our life to respond to that calling.  God will do amazing things that man cannot alter with those who love Him and respond to Him.

No comments: