Monday, January 7, 2013

Extraordinary by Association


Elijah was a man just like us.  He prayed earnestly…Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain…” James 5:17-18.  When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus” Acts 4:13.

Throughout time, men and women have done extraordinary things out of their ordinary lives through the empowerment of God.  Very rarely did God use the brightest and best to accomplish His works.  Most frequently God called ordinary people to accomplish things that were far beyond their abilities up to that point in their lives.

The same has happened in my life as I began studying Scripture, spending time in prayer and focusing on an intimate relationship with God.  I have never had any formal training in writing or applying Scripture.  This ordinary and unschooled gal finally got with the spiritual program 7 years ago and turned my face upon Jesus.  Amazing things have happened since I started being with Jesus…things far beyond my own abilities.  Many times when someone has sent me a comment on one of my devotionals I love to go back and reread it with their circumstances in mind.  I am always amazed at how the writing spoke directly to their situation, and how personal the message was from God to them.  It is at these moments that I know that our extraordinary God is doing so much through His ordinary children. 

I love the quote from Henry Varley which doesn’t omit any of us in dealing with our God extraordinaire.  ‘The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him.”  God has a plan for each of our lives, not just a good plan but a great plan.  If we will just pursue Him with the passion of our hearts and open up our ordinary lives, we will be used in a mighty way.

…and all will be ‘astonished as they take note that we have been with Jesus.’

No comments: