Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Snares and Traps


Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law.  The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts.  Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.  My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end” Psalm 119:109-112.

I was blessed this morning to better understand what the first sentence of our passage means.  Taking our life in our hands means publicly honoring God’s law even in the face of threats and hostility (NIV Study Bible, p. 928).  How does this look in our everyday life?  It means that when someone sets a trap of their own perception of you, you do not step into that trap of thinking.  You choose to publicly believe in who God says you are…valued…chosen …important…purposeful.  It is so tempting to stray over to man’s popular belief and take on the insecurity of who he says we are.  We must respond in the Spirit, God’s precepts, instead of responding out of our flesh.  A precept is a direction dictating a way we should act or behave.  We must remember who God says we are when man infers we are something else, behaving with belief and confidence.

Biblical statutes reveal God's thinking and reflect His priorities.  It is no wonder that our psalmist reminds us that only through publicly honoring God’s direction, and pursuing His thinking and priorities will we find joy in our hearts.  This joy comes only when our hearts are set on keeping God’s commands for our lives.  This joy paves the way for peace, confidence and security that surpasses anything on this earth. ‘Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble…I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly.  I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you’ Psalm 119:165-168.

We all know what makes us stumble and fall into the traps of man.  For some it is acceptance and approval while others stumble by believing their worth is limited.  God knows everything that is in our hearts…our desires…our strengths…our weaknesses…our worth.  By seeking the mind and priorities of God we can be sure that we are living the heritage God intended.  Our heritage is the possession we have received from God and from which we draw all provisions for our lives’ NIV Study Bible, 928.

Our help (provisions) comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.  He will not let our feet stumble or slip – He watches (protects) over us day and night – He will keep us from harm and keep watch over every part of our life.  Finally, He faithfully watches our coming and going now and forever. (Taken from Psalm 121)

No comments: