Friday, December 20, 2013

The Headless Horseman


You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday…If you make the Most High your dwelling…then no harm will befall you…For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands… Psalm 91:5-15.
 
This morning I arose with a certain passage on my heart for a certain friend on my heart.  I couldn’t remember its biblical address and decided to get on with my prayer time and meditation on God’s word.  It wasn’t very long into my time when my study required me turning to Psalm 91.  There was my verse which leapt off the page guided by the headless horseman named terror.  What a strong word when dealing with threats in our lives.  The definition of terror is an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger.  I can’t help but ask the question this morning…what terrorizes you through the night?  What threat stalks in the darkness and destroys your peace during the day?
 
I am confident that God is fully aware of the power of our imaginations and tendencies to predict the future colored by fear.  We have an enemy who longs to elevate our fears with terror, especially during the night.  In the past, when I feel threatened by pestilence and plague…that is those malicious and discouraging thoughts and fears…I remember that God is in control and even promises the care of His angels.  But God also is aware that many times we choose fear over faith and panic over His power.  I love ‘If and then’ verses which are verses that God gives us with a conditional promise.  In this case, if I dwell in Him instead of dwelling within my fears, then I will be free from harm.  If I really believe God is who He says He is and is in complete control, then I will experience His peace.   

The second part of this passage is the basis for His promise…nothing but love…unconditional love.  Because of His great love for us He continues to tell us what He will do for us when we turn to Him. ‘Because he loves me,’ says the LORD, ‘I will rescue him…I will protect him…I will answer him…I will be with him in trouble…I will deliver him and honor him…I will satisfy him’ Psalm 91:16.  What is our part in all of these amazing promises based on his love for us?  Our part is to trust Him and love Him right back.  What does this look like for a Christian?  It means when Satan’s arrows fly we shoot back with Scripture.  It means when our fears start to rise we affirm that God is who He says He is.  It means that when threats stalk our thoughts we pray in Jesus’ name to deliver us from them. 

And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved” Joel 2:32.

No comments: