Friday, April 4, 2014

Our Seventh Day

The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught…he said to them, ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest’” Mark 6:30-31.

One of my greatest blessings in my life is my husband. Over 30 years ago he became the one who seemed to enjoy (tolerate) all of my quirkiness, weaknesses and flaws. He has loved me with such tenderness and has been my biggest advocate. He has supported me in every outlandish thing I came up with and forgiven me for many wrongs. He is one of the hardest working people I have ever met. This morning I am met with overwhelming emotions as our passage rolls off the lips of Jesus regarding him. He is in a season of much needed and much earned rest. Faithfully, God looked upon the life of my husband and is rewarding him for a life well lived and a rest well earned. It has been somewhat unnerving for him since working hard is what he has known since age 14.

This is what our Savior wants from us… to approach Him in rest and solitude on all days. He knows that it is not easy to rest but rest was a part of creation even for God. ‘…so on the seventh day he rested from all his work’ Gen 2:2. We are told over and over again to be still…cast our burdens…to come to Him we who are weary. Ironically, some of hardest striving will be in resting, since many seldom rest. But Jesus says to you and to me, ‘Stillness of soul is increasingly rare in this world addicted to noise and speed. I am pleased with your desire to create a quiet space where you and I can meet. Don’t be discouraged by the difficulty of achieving this goal. I monitor all your efforts and am blessed by each of your attempts to seek My face’ Jesus Calling, p. 99.

Who is tired this morning down deep to the bone? Who needs to enter into the arms of Jesus for comfort, restoration and reminders of His love? I love the translation of the Message for Matthew 11:28-30. May it bless you as it did me this morning as we all remember that rest was a part of God’s perfect creation. Rest was a blessing from God and it still is.

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

No comments: