Monday, May 26, 2014

An Enlarged Heart

"For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His” 2 Ch 16:9.

I had such a sweet encounter with the Lord, and I will try to my best to put it into words for His glory and as a blessing to others.  Encounters with God are available for all of His children, and I am so thankful for these spiritual resuscitations.

A while back I had a conversation with a person who gave me every reason to doubt and fear the future regarding one of my children.  My heart wasn’t prepared for what seemed like an emotional assault, and I was left reeling with my arms flailing in the air like a drowning victim.  But thankfully the Holy Spirit raised a prayer for me as promised in Romans 8:26: ‘In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.’  He whispered into the Lord’s ear Psalm 25:16-18, ‘Turn to Brenda and be gracious to her for she is lonely and afflicted.  The troubles of her heart are enlarged; bring her out of her distresses.  Consider her affliction and her trouble…

It was at that moment the eyes of the Lord saw my arms waving from the waters of a distressed heart.  He appeared instantly by my side to support and encourage me, rescuing me from a spirit of fear and helplessness.  He tossed one life support ring after another one to me:

-          For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline’ 2 Ti 1:7.

-          My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare’ Psalm 25:15.

-          Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you…because my hope is in you’ Psalm 25:20-21.

-          My feet stand on level ground…’ Psalm 27:12.

-          Therefore, my dear…stand firm.  Let nothing move you…know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain’ 1 Co 15:58.

-          ‘…the gospel of Christ…to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, so that no one would be unsettled by these trials’ 1 Th 3:3.

These are but a few of His precious words that drenched me that day.  I was overwhelmed that His attention was immediately upon me when there are so many disasters that call out His name in this world.  My heart was transformed and my hope restored that God is bigger than any situation my family will face.  My mind was renewed and my focus was returned on His promises…His power…His amazing works.  He took me from swallowing seas to quiet waters and restored my soul. ‘The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.  He guides me…I will fear not…’ Psalm 23:1-4.

Who is he, this King of glory?  The LORD Almighty…’ Psalm 24:8.  Whatever hopelessness or despair is taking you under this morning call out to Him, and He will comfort and nurture you in ways only a parent can.

No comments: