Wednesday, May 28, 2014

When Squirrels Cry


Behold the birds…and your Father who is in Heaven sustains them; behold, are you not better than they?” Matthew 6:26

I saw the oddest thing yesterday on my way home from walking with a friend.  As I rounded the corner I slowed down to witness a sight so strange I was unsure what to do with it.  I pulled into my driveway and looked back considering whether I really saw what I thought I saw.  As I slowly approached my drive, I saw a squirrel in the middle of the road bent over a squirrel that had obviously lost its life.  The squirrel actually looked up at me slowly approaching and hopped to the side of the road until I passed.  He didn’t run up a tree, or disappear into the woods or anything else I would have expected.  Instead he simply stood on the side of the road looking beyond my car to the other squirrel.  In considering this I am reminded that God’s spirit dwells in all living things.  All of creation desires to be loved, encouraged, and comforted.  Where there is life so there are needs even among the squirrels. 

It was only a few days ago when I was feeling emotionally unsettled, finding myself in intervals of tearful moments.  I had Daddy and Beth on both my mind and heart.  As I fought tears in public places I felt like that little squirrel looking beyond those around me. That day I didn’t care that tears streamed down my face in public.  I didn’t really pay attention to the drivers around me or the shoppers at the grocery store.  I felt numb to others and drawn to my emotional distractions.  I do not know what triggered my grief but that is the game of grief… ambushes and emerging sadness without warning.  After a while and with prayer, I felt the settling of the Spirit, and the peace of God that came to rest on me.  Upon seeing the squirrel I was reminded that all living things were created by the same hands who created me. 

I am so grateful that we have a Father who is so gentle and tender even towards the animals.  I am in awe that we have a Creator who reminds us through nature of how much we are loved and cared for.  I am encouraged to know that as God sustains even the squirrels in their sadness how much more will we be sustained in our pain.

Thank you, Father for caring for all of creation from the least to the greatest. 

No comments: