Thursday, July 10, 2014

When Faith Finds a Hero


But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.  Keep yourself in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ…” Jude 1:20-21.

Yesterday as Bruce and I were discussing the day I got a text from one of my best friends informing us that one of our friends’ home had been struck by lightning and was on fire.  Obviously, Bruce and I jumped in our car and went over to try to help.  Once we arrived, the landscape was covered with smoke, hoses and fireman.  Umbrellas lined the driveway as we stood and watched the battle of water verses smoke and fiery embers.  What makes this scene even more devastating is this friend lost her husband to brain cancer ten months ago.  As her closest friends arrived one by one the evening unfolded with questions…disbelief…concern for the future. 

I wanted to comfort and encourage people but couldn’t find the words or sentiments.  I felt at a complete loss to share the much needed message and salve for a time of deep injury and tragedy.  I found myself saying things that sounded like spiritual clichés…God has a plan…God will turn this to good…when we can’t trace His hand we can trust His heart.  As they came out of my mouth they seemed to lack the taste I was used to.  Nothing seemed to resonate in my heart of hearts spiritually speaking until I heard Bruce tell someone something I will never forget.  He said ‘The arm of God doesn’t extend arbitrarily.’ That was it!  Those were the words that seemed to plant my faith back on its feet.  I knew that he was saying that God in all His wisdom is in charge of every drop of water in the hoses.  He is well aware of which ember can spark into flame in an instant.  He has the perfect precision of this situation and is in complete control of the rippling effects leading towards complete resolution. He is God and He takes our pain and suffering to heart.  He has us tightly cradled in His arms when we see our lives unraveling before our very eyes. 

Last night was a night when all I could do was beg God for a Romans 8:26-27 prayer. ‘Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.  And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God’ Romans 8:26-27.

Bottom line we must constantly build ourselves up in our faith believing in God’s goodness and power.  We are invited to pray alongside the Holy Spirit allowing Him to form the words when we cannot express our own.  We are to reside in the loving arms of Jesus protected and cradled as adversity rages around us.  I received a text this morning from my friend who has lost so much over the past ten months.  She wrote, ‘I’ve been thanking God for this adversity and praising Him.  Where He leads I will follow.’  She is my Jude 1:20-21 example and faith has found a hero.  Please pray for her and her family and be encouraged by her faith applying it to your own adversity.  We all serve the same God and can access the same portions of His love, grace and mercy.

No comments: